NSSF® tracks and reports monthly U.S. import units for several sporting arms, ammunition, and optics categories from the US International Trade Commission. Below are the results for June 2021 compared to June 2020. Additionally, second quarter (April–June) 2021 total units imported in the four sporting arms categories rose 88.1 percent while the two ammunition categories increased 94.2 percent over the same time period in 2021.
- June Handgun imports increased 24.9 percent from 385,336 to 481,379 units. Within the handgun category, Pistol import units rose 28.4 percent from 353,376 to 453,562 units while imported Revolver units decreased 13.0 percent from 31,960 to 27,817 units.
Second quarter handgun imports rose 46.7 percent from 957,851 to 1,404,977 units.
- June Rifle imports were up 55.6 percent from 70,237 to 109,267 units. This category has been adjusted to exclude HTS codes 9303304010 & 9303308005 (Telescopic Sights Imported with Rifles).
Imported rifle units for the second quarter increased a total of 76.0 percent from 174,184 units to 306,541.
- June Shotgun category posted a 253.9 percent increase in imported units from 90,378 to 319,840.
Shotgun imports were up in the second quarter from 247,771 to 913,948 units – an increase of 268.9 percent.
- June Muzzleloader category decreased 11.2 percent from 21,750 to 19,314 units. For muzzleloaders, second quarter import units rose 14.8 percent from 40,454 to 46,428.
- June Other Cartridges (excluding Shotgun cartridges) category increased 54.5 percent from 256.8 million to 396.8 million units.
Second quarter imports of Other Cartridges in 2020 increased by 86.4 percent from 696.5 million units to 1.3 billion units.
- June Shotgun Cartridges category increased by 122.6 percent rising to 55.8 million units as compared to last year’s 25.1 million.
The total 2021 second quarter Shotgun Cartridge units imported were up 198.0 percent from 52.3 million in 2020 to 155.9 million units.
- Telescopic Sights:
- June Telescopic sights with rifles (HTS codes 9303304010 and HTS 9303308005, defined as telescopic sights or other optical devices suitable for use with arms, if mounted on a firearm or entered with the firearm on which they are designed to be mounted) increased 582.9 percent from 1,607 units to 10,974.
The 2021 second quarter total of 16,027 units imported for Telescopic sights was an increase of 267.8 percent compared to the 4,357 units imported in 2020.
- June Telescopic sights for rifles (HTS code 9013101000, defined as telescopic sights for rifles not designed for use with infrared light) increased 67.4 percent from 277,560 units to 464,550.
The second quarter imported units for Telescopic sights in 2021 increased by 75.1 percent from 657,873 units to 1,151,989.
- June Telescopic sights for rifles (HTS code 9013103000, defined as telescopic sights for rifles not elsewhere specified or included [NESOI]) rose 16.6 percent from 53,171 units to 61,994.
Telescopic sights for rifles imported second quarter 2021 rose 36.9 percent from 146,589 units in 2020 to 200,660 units.
- June Prism Binoculars [not for use with infrared light] (HTS code 9005100040) increased 58.1 percent from 189,150 units to 299,065.
- June Binoculars HTS code 9005100080 [Other Binoculars, NESOI] increased 3.5 percent from 123,504 units to 127,843.
- Second quarter 2021 figures: Prism Binoculars [not for use with infrared light] (HTS code 9005100040) increased 58.0 percent from 487,241 to 769,679 units. Binoculars HTS code 9005100080 [Other Binoculars, NESOI] increased 52.3 percent from 279,746 units to 426,116 units.
- June Hunting Knives (with fixed blades and wood handles) category rose 97.7 percent from 20,308 units to 40,151 units.
The total 2021 second quarter Hunting Knives (with fixed blades and wood handles) category rose 244.7 percent from 60,050 units to 206,999 units.
Source: US International Trade Commission