NSSF tracks and reports monthly U.S. export units for several sporting arms, ammunition, and optics categories from the US International Trade Commission. Below are the results for June 2021 compared to June 2020. Additionally, second quarter (April–June) 2021 total units exported in the four sporting arms categories dropped 16.3 percent while the two ammunition categories increased 83.6 percent over the same time period.
- June Handgun exports increased 4.5 percent from 33,156 to 34,639 units. Within the handgun category, Pistol export units increased 1.8 percent from 32,184 to 32,765 units while exported Revolver units rose 92.8 percent from 972 to 1,874 units.
Second quarter exports of handgun units dropped 40.5 percent from 132,378 to 78,725.
- June Rifle exports were down 20.5 percent from 18,895 to 15,013 units.
The second quarter change in exported rifle units showed an increase of 29.2 percent from 58,804 in 2020 to 75,993 units in 2021.
- June Shotgun category posted a 24.0 percent decrease in exported units from 9,461 to 7,193.
The second quarter shotgun exports rose 9.0 percent in 2021 from 19,731 to 21,499 units.
- June Muzzleloader category decreased 42.9 percent from 885 to 505 units exported.
The number of units of muzzleloaders exported over second quarter 2021 rose 0.8 percent from 1,567 to 1,579 units.
- June Other Cartridges (excluding Shotgun cartridges) category increased 66.3 percent from 53.8 million in 2020 to 89.4 million units exported in 2021.
Exported units of Other Cartridges for second quarter 2021 increased 88.5 percent from 145.1 million to 273.5 million.
- June Shotgun Cartridges category decreased by 7.9 percent dropping to 3.7 million units as compared to last year’s 4.1 million.
The total for Shotgun Cartridge units exported in second quarter 2021 was up 20.4 percent from 11.3 million in 2020 to 13.6 million.
- Telescopic Sights:
- June Telescopic Sights for Rifles (HTS code 9013102000, which includes military use) dropped by 20.0 percent from 33,274 units to 26,622.
The 2021 second quarter total of 98,795 units exported in this category reflected an increase of 27.8 percent as compared to the 77,310 units exported in 2020.
- June Prism Binoculars [not for use with infrared light] (HTS code 9005100040) increased 104.6 percent from 13,215 units to 27,039.
- June Binoculars HTS code 9005100080 [Other Binoculars, NESOI] increased 5.7 percent from 17,841 units to 18,866.
- Second quarter export figures for Binoculars: Prism Binoculars [not for use with infrared light] (HTS code 9005100040) increased 64.9 percent from 46,664 to 76,929 units. Binoculars HTS code 9005100080 [Other Binoculars, NESOI] increased 25.4 percent from 45,447 to 56,996 units.
Source: US International Trade Commission